In September, The Pet Shop Boys will add to their lengthy discography Disco 4, another in a series of what has amounted to very occasional remix EPs. Disco 2 was their single worst release ever, but Disco 3, released nine years later in 2003, reinvigorated the series by combining remixes with a strong selection of new tracks like "Time on My Hands" and "Positive Role Model." Thus, the recent buzz of another Disco had the fans all abuzz about new tracks, but the announced track list this week reveals that Disco 4 is a remix compilation primarily of their work for other artists. And why not, when that includes mixes of prime cuts from the likes of Madonna and The Killers?
The track list:
- The Killers: Read My Mind (PSB Stars Are Blazing mix)
- David Bowie with Pet Shop Boys: Hallo Spaceboy (PSB Extended mix)
- Pet Shop Boys: Integral (PSB Perfect Immaculate mix)
- Yoko Ono: Walking On Thin Ice (PSB Electro mix)
- Madonna: Sorry (PSB Maxi-mix)
- Atomizer: Hooked On Radiation (PSB Orange Alert mix)
- Rammstein: Mein Teil (PSB There Are No Guitars On This mix)
- Pet Shop Boys: I'm with Stupid (PSB Maxi-mix)
The hardcore fans, spoiled by Disco 3, are having a meltdown over a track list populated by generally already available tracks, but as a fan who doesn't own every PSB-related track ever released, I welcome it. The only one of these I already have is the fantastic mix of The Killers' "Read My Mind;" I have only the edit of Madonna's "Sorry." The release also includes a new mix of "Integral," which has now been officially nixed as a fourth single from Fundamental. No word on a U.S. release for Disco 4, which Parlophone has slated for Sept. 24.