Saturday, March 18, 2006

DVD: The Weather Man

Director: Gore Verbinski (The Ring, Pirates of the Caribbean)
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Michael Caine
DVD released: Feb. 21, 2006
Verdict: &&&

In weatherman David Spritz's (Nicolas Cage) world, it's always cold, whether it's the temperature, his relationship with his ex-wife or his interactions with the public. This fairly engaging mood and character piece takes place largely in a snow-blanketed Chicago, where Spritz's life is shattering like an icicle falling to the dirty sidewalk. He feels the disapproval of his father (Michael Caine, in a moving, understated performance) and sets about trying in vain to reconnect with his son and daughter, who have their own issues, and his ex-wife, who is seeing someone else. He also wrestles with his semi-celebrity status, as people tend to throw Wendy's Frosties, McDonald's apple pies and Big Gulps at him on the street. "Why?" his father, a successful novelist, asks him, reminding Spritz that he's not actually a meteorologist. "You just read the weather." Meanwhile, his father is diagnosed with lymphoma, and Spritz makes his bid for the big leagues by auditioning for the weather gig on Bryant Gumbel's national morning show. Verbinski mixes in beautiful imagery of ice floating on the water in the bay, reinforcing the sense of a coldhearted world to which spring will never come. // DVD notes // More featurettes than needed and no deleted scenes. Heed the R-rating for mixed-company viewing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This movie is perhaps one of the worst I've ever seen in my life. I'd rather watch a loop of "Waterworld" for 24 hours. The message of the film is to believe that a f'ing job will make things right in the world. No wonder people are so f'ed up these days. Cage's character took absolutely no responsibility for his life, kids, or failed marriage. Getting a new job is not the solution to life's problems. I kept waiting for the climax in the theme of this "tron" of a movie, but it never came. What a waste of two hours, and I was pissed off by the end of the movie. I am in law school right now, however I wish I could bill Paramount, or whoever made this terrible movie for the sunk cost of $3.99 plus the opportunity costs in excess of $300/hr, depending on the market value of my amazing legal abilities. I recommend watching "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," or even "AirBud" $250k a year won't make anyone happy, but apparently $1.2M will. What bullshit. Hollywood needs a reality check. Furthermore, I'd rather puke than hear another update about "tom cat," However, I will admit I am partial to Top Gun and Cocktail, however that dude is f'ed up in the head. And I digress.

-AB

Jebb said...

OK, glad you got that off your chest. I still think it's a decent look at a disaffected urbanite.

Totally agreed about "tom cat," and I'm not partial to either of those movies.