Saturday, September 21, 2019

RIP Eddie Money

Eddie Money does not hail from the genres that I write most about here, but it occurred to me as I played some of his songs on Spotify that his smoky voice was often pleasantly around during the time frame in which my obsession with pop music emerged, which coincided with his later period as a hitmaker. Beyond the obvious tracks are numerous worthy listens, like "Walk on Water" (#9, 1988), "Endless Nights" (#21, 1987), "The Love in Your Eyes" (#24, 1989) and "Peace in Our Time" (#11, 1989, and originally recorded by Jennifer Holliday for the One Moment in Time Olympics album). Pressed to choose a favorite, I quite like "I Wanna Go Back" (#14, 1986), but I might have to go with the somewhat uncharacteristic and softer-than-usual ballad "I'll Get By," which was his final top 40 hit, peaking at #21 in 1991. It's got an appealingly dark quality with lyrics like Lately I've been thinkin' / I should move away / No reason left to stay / This house is haunted anyway


No comments: