Saturday, January 29, 2022

Not a Dry Eye in the House (RIP Meat Loaf)


It seems to me that one of the things Mr. Loaf aspired to be was different, to be an outlier among the top 40 with operatic bombast and radio edits running 5 minutes or more in the latter days, and I admire that. About seven months ago, upon the death of his longtime collaborator and songwriter Jim Steinman, I wrote about what is probably my favorite Meat Loaf song, "Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are." Another favorite, "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through," a reverent ode to the music that gets us through this world, is in my current playlist and in the top 3 on my rolling Last.fm chart.

I want to give a nod to a deeper cut, a latter day single that flopped in the U.S., peaking at #82, but did manage #7 in the U.K. For 1995 album Welcome to the Neighborhood, which followed up the incredible comeback of Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, there were only two Steinman songs in the mix, and Mr. Loaf turned to venerable songwriter Diane Warren for a couple of tracks which would be the first two singles.

The lead single, "I'd Lie for You (And That's the Truth)," seems a rather thinly veiled rewrite and lesser imitation of the massive Bat II hit "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)." I'll argue that had it not been the lead single with big expectations hanging over it, the song might not have tainted the top 40 (it made #13 in the U.S. and #2 in the U.K.).

But second single "Not a Dry Eye in the House" is, for my ears, one of the best tunes Mr. Loaf ever turned out; it's all high drama and hooks and beautifully produced. I love the bridge (Act 1 … The story's just begun! Act 2 … I fell in love with you!) and the gentle fade-out.

It would be his last charted Hot 100 single in the U.S. (prior to his death, of course), and a fitting curtain call.

No comments: